Soltula/ Warlock Raider App

New Applicants post here.
Solt

Soltula/ Warlock Raider App

Post by Solt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am

1. Real First Name: Silvano
2. Age (17yrs min): in my 30s
3. Where are you from (city, what time zone)?Atlanta/ Eastern time zone

4. When did you start playing WoW? December 20045. Do you have a system that can play WoW smoothly and does not hinder your playing capability for 25man content? (ie. decent fps, minimal lock-ups or other system-related issues), Please describe your computer hardware (video card, internet speed, etc) : i7 920 (not overclocked) system with 12 gigs of ram, two 120gig ssd in raid 0, 1250 power watt supply, 480 gtx (single card, have second for sli but no need since it runs wow just fine)
6. Please provide an image of your ping test to Chicago, IL via http://www.pingtest.net, and post your result

7. Do you own an Blizzard authenticator? Yes

Raid History/Experience

1. What is the furthest you have progressed in the following during that time period: History is while content was current.
* Classic: MC/BWL/AQ40/Naxx - Cleared MC and BWL AQ40 all but C-Thun and Ouro and Naxx roughly 8 bosses killed
* BC: Kara/SSC/MH/BT/Sunwell - Kara,SSC,MH,BH all cleared. Sunwell- up to Twins
* WoTLK: Naxx/Ulduar/ToC/ICC - Naxx and Ulduar cleared(Ulduar very few hard modes) TOC-all but last boss in hard mode. ICC- All but Lich King heroic mode.
* Cata: 10/25M BoT/BWD/ToFW - Bot- first boss heroic. BWD- Few bosses cleared heroic mode. ToFW normal mode clear. Firelands- all but Rag cleared heroic. Dragon Soul All bosses heroic -Spine killed 10% nerf Deathwing 10% nerf.
* MoP: Mv, HoF MV cleared nomral mode, HOF 5/6 cleared normal

2. What previous guilds have you been in, and why did you leave them? Please include all relevant raiding guilds in your guild history. Just going to list the last few I've been. All guilds I have ever been in I have left due to either disbanding or my work change schedule. Lack of people and raiding that happens to quiet a few guilds. Very rare does my work schedule change that conflicts with current guild raid times.

WoTLK- Joined a guild called Disciples of Redemption on Scilla server which was a dayshift guild (raided from 1:30pm-5:00pm) (Still have a mage alt that raids with them on Saturdays heroic modes when possible) 25 man guild that I started within Uldar and progressed Left due to work change schedule. Moved from midnight shift to day shift. Guild still intact and currently clearing heroics. Whardy is GM and would welcome me back in a haeartbeat if I could meet their schedule and there was a opening. He could vouch for my raiding criteria - dps/attendance/moved out of fire every now and then!

Cata - Joined a guild called Warcraft Addicts. Initial raids started 25 man if memory serves me correctly and moved to 10 man heroics before Firelands. Firelands we moved back to 25 man. Left due to work change schedule shortly before Dragon Soul released. Where I met Xannter.

Parasomnia(current guild) Joined as 25 man guild when Dragon Soul was released. Moved to 10 man eventually when lack of people and interested occurred. Also ran a weekend alt raid where my Boomkin ended up becoming my main raider. Currently guild has pretty much disbanded. 10 man roster with every few backups. Started out strong but we never did clear all current content. People quit showing up whenver we were supposed to start heroic modes. Only leaving this guild if I am selected to join Weer.

Your social skills

1. Why are you choosing to apply to Weer specifically? I am choosing to apply to Weer specifically because I started my search for a new guild and talked to a few of my old guildy-wow players to see if openings exist in current raid guilds before trying the recruitment forums. I'm not looking for a guild that wants to be a world first that requires 80 hours a week to get the clear, but I also don't join a guild that "hopes" to clear a raid finder boss or two. I would prefer to find a guild that is somewhere in the middle that at least considers heroic modes the normal modes. WeeR seems to fit the bill.

2. Do you have a Sponsor in WeeR? If not, How did you find us? I found WeeR talking to Xantter.
3. What are your expectations from a raiding guild, and what do you think that a raiding guild should expect from you? A guild that is not hardcore, but not casual either. I expect a guild that considers normal mode to be heroic mode. While there should be raids that have some fun (joking around, talking), will be serious when on progression on a boss and expects members to be attentive, not afk half the time, and prepared. Looking for a guild that the raid leader(s) have decided on strat. Doing heroic modes in Dragon Soul on two different toons/guilds taught me there are different ways to take a raid boss down. You can expect from me to be prepared. I work over 50 hours a week and don't have alot of time to screw around. You can expect well over 80% attendance(will give notice on very few misses if any at all, be prepared( flasks, food, everything enchanted-granted my weapon enchant isnt the best right now), and someone who generally is still enjoying the game. I don't have an exel spreadsheet that I can tell you what max dps with every spell I use will be with every single raid boss, but I do research my class and fights to see what is working best. I also keep and open mind and open to suggestions if someone sees something wrong with I am doing raid or character(spec wise).
4. Do you have a working mic, and are you able to speak on vent during raids as needed? Yes
5. Our raid times are Tue, Wed, and Thur, 8PM - 12AM EST (server time). What is your availability to attend these raid times? Keep in mind that we do not recruit "back ups", and as a result all of our raiders are expected to have very high attendance percentages. Just changed my work schedule to meet raid times, so there should be no issues with raid times.

About your character

1. Name/Class/Main Spec Soltula, Warlock- Affliction ( No issue respeccing to any spec if needed, just haven't played this xpac.)

2. Armory Link. Be sure to log off in your raiding gear.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ula/simple

3. Screen Shot of your UI (use imageshack.us). My email is down that will contain link for shot of my ui. Mosly default ui with recount, Quartz dot timer, DBM playing on a 1900x1600 srcreen.4. Latest Meters, via worldoflogs.com No current ones to show.
5. How Long have you been playing your class/spec? Affliction- all of this xpac. Other specs when Blizzard has allowed competitive raid dps. They did a good job at end of Dragon Soul making all 3 specs viable and competative.
6. What is your priority on stats weights. and please provide details? Just relisting Icy-veins. 1.Intellect;
2.Mastery Rating (3 major dots affected in this spec);
3.Haste Rating;
4.Hit Rating (until 15%);
5.Critical Strike Rating.
Though it isn't really required to have the full 15% on hit, I do like maxamizing it. Hate seeing miss on the screen.

7. What is your max burst rotation? No real burst in afflction spec, but starter for all fights is CoE followed by engineering gloves, Misery, Soul Burn, Soul Swap, followed by Haunt.

Player Information
1. How often do you play outside of raids? While this xpac isn't as alt friendly I do play a mage alt (Saturday alt raid in old guild), and my druid(mainly for gathering/alchemy profession). Main will only be to do rep grinds this xpac mainly.
2. Is your real life situation such that it may ever interfere with raiding in a hardcore end-game guild? (ie. gf/bf aggro, night classes, expected to play parcheesi with the family on Thursday nights, etc).
None, only issue I may have is if work requires training that keeps me overnight. Only have had 2 out of town training sessions in 5 years.
3. Tell us about yourself. occupation, hobbies, etc - as much or as little as you would like to share.

Analytical Skill - very important

WeeR supports out of the box thinkers. You are required to compare yourself to our existing member who is playing the same class and spec you are applying for. Can you point out any improvements in our main raiders specs/gear, if any, or is there anything you would do different and why?
None right now.

I do thank you for your time in reading this application. I have no issues talking in vent if another questsions arise or just want to chat with me about my application.

Sappora

Re: Soltula/ Warlock Raider App

Post by Sappora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Xantter you SoB why didnt you tell me Soltula was apping....... I have raided with Soltula back in WoTLK and in Cata amazing warlock, and dedicated raider we were sad to see him go in WA.

Nervosa

Post by Nervosa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Hey Soltula,

My name is Nervosa, and I am what many consider to be, the resident Demonology Warlock in WeeR. I'm currently at work so I can't click on any armory links (I'll do that when I get home prior to raiding tonight). However with that being said, I'm just going to be frank and honestly blunt, so take it as you will:

Gaijin and I (the FT resident Warlocks in WeeR), have seen many warlocks come and go. Throughout that time, it seems something was lacking in their performance versus their applications. Some, not all, posted rather excellent applications, but seriously lacked in the knowledge of their class when it came to progression raiding. 98% of the time Gaijin and I were getting whispers on "How to maximize stats", "Whats the best burst rotation?", "Why is my DPS so low?", etc. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

Gaijin and I play our class as if we're competing every night for our raiding spot. Although WeeR isn't exactly formatted towards this kind of playstyle, we'd like to think it keeps our morale high when shit starts hitting the fan, as in knowing we're doing our fucking best to attribute towards a kill, even if we're seeing 50% wipes.

We don't want to tutor you. We don't want to spend hours going over simcraft profiles with you. We don't want to spend hours on vent explaining what you're doing wrong. We want you to possess this knowledge prior to submitting your application with WeeR. If this sound intimidating, it should, because you will be competing with 2 warlocks who grind eachothers dicks into sand every night because that's how we play our class. We'd expect nothing less from a future warlock applicant.

Now, all seriousness being presented to you, I only have a few questions regarding what I see on your application:

1. No logs. It's a nice guiding point towards showing us what you're capable of. I'd recommend getting something to present to us. LFR, 10/25 Man pug, etc. It doesn't matter.

2. Affliction DOES have quite a decent, but somewhat lackluster burst rotation. I'll let Gaijin explain this when he comments on your app.

3. You mentioned playing affliction for this entire expansion up to this point, and said you'd have no issue swapping specs if needed. Well, 5.2 is about 2 weeks away, and I guarantee you quite a few warlocks will be speccing Demo just because they glanced at the patch notes. I'd recommend becoming comfortable with that spec, because Gaijin swapped for a few pulls and he was a disgrace to Demonology. It's not noob friendly.

4. The out of the box thinking section. For some reason alot of applicants skip this. I'm not sure if it's the wording or not, however it's something I'd suggest re-evaluating and supplying your answer. It gives us a good idea how you view your playstyle, rotations, etc versus someone who's made the cut. Also, I'd love to see what you say about Gaijin, as he's the resident Affliction warlock here. Why don't I play affliction? Mainly because they fucked the spec into the ground and made it mind-numbingly boring to play on encounters that last anymore than 3 minutes. Unfortunately it was also the highest simming spec for 5.1.

I hope none of this sounds condescending or insubordinate, however I plan on laying everything on the table, because with 5.2 so close, I'd only want to consider people whom say "I want to consider NM the equivilent of HC". You seem to want to persue this direction, so I have to be blunt and articulate in what I say to not show any misguidings about our intentions.

Thank you and good luck with your application.

Nervosa.

Edit: I see Sappora has vouched for you. Although Sappora doesn't play a warlock, he has seen you perform in past expansions. This is definately a good thing. Sappora is one of the finest healing class leaders I've raided with (although he doesn't say jack shit in vent unless someone calls out wtf just happened.)

I also see Xantter talked to you already. Another plus. One of the finest resto druids I've played with this expansion. He also has great taste in music.
Last edited by Nervosa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geijin

Post by Geijin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Ok.......
This is the second time I'm having to explain this. Affliction does have a burst rotation. It is not lackluster in the least. Especially on the pull, we have one the strongest openers if done correctly, but it is very easy to fuck up. You start with a prepot, as many classes we raid with bring the elements debuff we don't have to place it. After you prepot you hit dark soul misery and any racial you may have, then at 1 second to pull you haunt, then you soul burn soul swap and malefic grasp, as soon as any int procs are you you soul burn soul swap again and haunt again, this usually occurs around 3 seconds left on your first haunt, you may end up with no soul shards left after this but you'll have closer to 180-190k dps at this point with lackluster gear.

As for your reforges, I can understand not wanting to see misses but your stats and dps are suffering by being over the hit cap, as affliction being under by .40% is WAY more benefial than being over even .01. And I'm highly concerned by your haste. Your not even close to our haste threshold of 4589(goblin) which is a HUGE dps increase for affliction, when it comes to thresholds reaching the next dot threshold is more important that mastery because an extra tick amounts to more dps than harder hitting ticks.

As for nervosa's post he is correct. Out of all the warlocks that have come and gone I have repeatedly received whispers about things they should have known on their own before raids. I have even received a whisper from one such lock who told me "I just don't understand how you are doing so much more dps than I am, I have better gear than you....".......*cough*enderbot*cough*... LOL
While we are not elitist at all and enjoy raiding in this guild and just being in this guild (even if I wasn't able to raid in this guild I wouldn't leave) we would like to have people who can bring the most with them into this guild. Your app is really good and I feel like you could be good simply by the fact that Sappora vouched for you and you already talked to xantter, I just want you to come in here ready to succeed and not fall behind and get discouraged like some of the other locks have. I would love some real affliction competition for a change because I don't want nervosa to play a spec he hates just to have some real competition lol. He is enough competition for me as demo but it would be nice to have a standard to compete against as the same spec.

I am also not trying to sound condescending or anything so please don't take it that way, I just would like to be blunt and helpful lol.

Sappora

Post by Sappora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:51 pm

All I said was that he was really good back in Cata, I can't vouch for a player I haven't raided with in a while a lot can change. He has raided with me and xantter back in cata, we were sad to see him leave. In no point did I say I was going to vouch for him. I'm just glad he decided to apply to us and I was giving my viewpoint of what kind of raider he was back in cata.

Nervosa

Post by Nervosa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Sappora wrote:amazing warlock, and dedicated raider
Not sure what language you speak, or comprehend, but unless you don't understand English, many would take that comment as vouching for someone.

Maybe I make too many assumptions? Hell, I even vouched for YOU in that edited after-the-fact comment. I guess that's the last time I "vouch" for someone.

Sappora

Post by Sappora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:25 pm

He was an amazing warlock and dedicated raider, back in cata. I probably should have specified a little bit more but I did type that out rather quickly and logged off. And whoa way to compliment me and then just backhand me. Although the compliment stands out more to me :S. I'll take the good with the bad.

Xantter

Post by Xantter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Yea, myself and Sappora played w/ Soltula back in Cata, he is a good player, and he is Rebecca Black's #1 fan (he named his kid after her). jk <3
Nervosa wrote: I also see Xantter talked to you already. Another plus. One of the finest resto druids I've played with this expansion. He also has great taste in music.
Yeah man, you have great taste in music too. :D

Nervosa

Post by Nervosa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Sappora wrote: And whoa way to compliment me and then just backhand me. Although the compliment stands out more to me :S. I'll take the good with the bad.
Love hurts. :D If you post an application to WeeR, I guess I'll have to review it very thoroughly before evaluating you, just to make sure. =P

Edit: Xantter: I just looked up rebecca Black. Disgusting. Not sure if I even want to see this one go to trial now.

...j/k.

Also, Gaijin also thought you vouched for him too, Sappora. I guess the warlocks in WeeR are derps. ;/

Sappora

Post by Sappora » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

ugh /wrist

Glad I got in before you did nervosa my app wouldnt see the light of day with you ehh, cause seriously go look at my app in the past apps no clue how I even got in honestly. ;)